The Research and Development Directorate (GRAD) undertakes research and development of physical and radio marine aids to navigation (AtoNs), support systems and their integration to support the GLAs’ mission “to deliver a reliable, efficient and cost-effective Aids to Navigation service for the benefit and safety of all mariners”.
GRAD mainly operates from Harwich and is based in the Trinity House Offices. GRAD work for the GLAs, which comprise: Trinity House, the Northern Lighthouse Board and the Commissioners of Irish Lights.
The activities of the GRAD Directorate are focused on strategic objectives, which concentrate on the following areas:
- Operational and engineering support
- Technology/system development and standardisation
- Research and the facilitation of research conducted by bodies on behalf of the GLAs
- Policy/technology watch and strategy development
- External funding opportunities